Ever wondered what will happen to your Facebook account when you pass away from the world? Let me show you how to either memorialize or delete Facebook account after your pass away so that you can as well prepare for what will happen to your Facebook account the same way you prepare the will for your assets.
How To Memorialize Your Facebook Profile
A memorialized Facebook account is a profile where friends and relatives gather to share tributes and condolences after the account holder has passed away. A Facebook memorialized accounts will have the word Remembering affixed to the person’s name.
To set up a memorialized account, you will need to assign a person that will alert Facebook of your demise. This person who must be on your friend’s list is called a legacy contact.
How To Assign a Legacy Contact
To assign a legacy contact, on your Facebook web, go to click on the arrow-down on the top-right >> Settings >> General >> Manage Account and assign a legacy contact. You can only assign one legacy contact for your account.
What your legacy contact can do:
- Your legacy contact can write a pinned post on your timeline for example announcement of your departure and burial arrangements. You will have to set your timeline privacy to allow friends posts on your wall for this to be possible, if you friends can post on your wall, then don’t worry about this.
- Your legacy contact can accept new friend requests from people.
- Your legacy contact can update your profile and cover photos.
What your legacy contact cannot do:
- Your legacy contact cannot view your messages or send message from your account.
- Your legacy contact cannot delete your friends or send new friend request.
- Your legacy contact cannot delete any of your old posts or photos.
How To Delete Your Facebook Account Permanently After Your Demise
Follow the steps above on how to assign a Facebook legacy contact. On your Facebook web, go to click on the arrow-down on the top-right >> Settings >> General >> Manage Account and assign a legacy contact. delete Facebook account
After you’ve assigned your legacy contact, click on Request account deletion. Your account will be permanently deleted from Facebook once your legacy contact inform Facebook of your demise. delete Facebook account